6 Most Famous Diamond Quotes
The only thing better than the sparkle of a shimmering diamond ring is a good diamond quote. Luckily there are plenty to go around. Some have been uttered hundreds of times and others will probably be unheard of. Let’s take a look at some of the most famous diamond quotes, who said them, and where we may hear them today.
- “Diamonds are a girl’s best friend”: Let’s leave aside the fact that I don’t think this is even a grammatically correct phrase. It should be a diamond is a girl’s best friend or diamonds are girls’ best friends etc. although there are many variations of this quote so who knows what the original quote was. What we can do is focus on the fact that this global quote comes from the mouth of the one and only Marilyn Monroe. This is most definitely the most famous diamond saying of all times and is used constantly in regards to diamonds. The connotation is as obvious as can be, but many feel the need to elaborate and say that nothing in the world means more to women than diamonds etc. While this is far from being the case it is a fair assessment that diamonds are very much loved by women (and men.) How much of it has to do with their actual beauty and durability is hard to say given the enormous push from marketers as well as the undeniable status connection.
- “Big girls need big diamonds”: This quote is certainly less famous but was said by someone no less famous than Marilyn Monroe. The delightful Elizabeth Taylor has been said to have coined this phrase, which will eagerly be adopted by any diamond lover, regardless of her/his gender. While this could mean women deserve more substantial diamond jewelry pieces than girls, it also means larger women require larger diamonds, and this is in fact true in most cases. Smaller jewelry pieces in general look better on leaner frames, unless of course one doesn’t mind overbearing jewels. At the same time, bigger jewels are more suitable for those with a taller or wider physique as they will stand out better.
- “I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number you get in a diamond”: While this quote is extremely cute, let’s clarify: you eat carrots and you buy diamond carats. The famous Mae West was quoted with this endearing pun, which may or may not be an accurate statement for most women.
- "It’s hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world”: This quote belongs to the lovely Dolly Parton, and its meaning is timeless. Whether speaking literally or not, there is so much truth to it being difficult to be the real deal in a world of phonies, but as always, it’s worth the while.
- “A diamond is a chunk of coal that did really well under pressure”: This is yet another gem of a quote, this time by Henry Kissinger. Charming yet quite powerful, this quote is as applicable today as ever before.
- “True friends are like diamonds - bright, beautiful, valuable, and always in style”: Spoken by none other than Nicole Richie, this corny quote can be discarded or taken to heart. If you choose the latter, you will appreciate your diamonds more as well as your friends.
Although there are many other diamond-related quotes, we will suffice with these six famous ones uttered by rather well known individuals. You don’t have to be rich or famous to appreciate or understand diamonds, but somehow coming from these people, the quotes have more meaning. In any case, if the endless diamond quotes out there are any representation of the complexity and diverse nature of a diamond, then it is quite clear that diamonds are not just loved for their apparent beauty but also for their unique structure and fascinating history of how they came to be. After all, ‘diamonds are forever.’